Friday, July 25, 2008

Athens Archeological Museum

July 10th, 2008

We went to the Athens Archeological Museum, and overall I really enjoyed it. We split up into different groups and answered some questions that DiMy gave us in a worksheet. It was sort of like a Scavenger Hunt. I really enjoyed doing it this way. We saw a whole lot of things here. We saw the Kouros found at Sounion. We also saw the Statue of a Kore and Kouros. The Kore was holding what I thought was a budding flower. It was really neat. One of my favorite statues here was the statue of Poseidon/Zeus. It was just amazing!!! Another one of my favorites is the Discus Thrower. I thought it would be a lot bigger though. It was just a small bronze statue. We also saw the Doryphorus. In another room, we saw the Statue of Athena. I thought it was very beautiful. Another favorite of mine from the museum is the Horse and Jockey. There's much debate over whether or not they actually belong together because they were found separately, but I think they belong together because they look really similar. We also went into the Santorini room which was really neat. It was just some amazing things from Santorini that remain from the Minoan period such as pottery, rhytons, and frescoes. The frescoes were of the Boxing Children, and Antelopes and the Spring Fresco. I thought they were really beautiful. We also saw the Colossal Arm of the Statue of Zeus. It was huge, and his muscles were humongous. I thought they looked like Paul's arm myself. Hahah. There was also some theater masks that were kind of creepy. Another one of my favorite statues is the Statue of Aphrodite, Pan, and Eros. It just makes me laugh every time I look at it. It's Pan trying to get Aphrodite's attention and Eros is trying to back him off. It seems playful though..Hahaha. We also saw some Zoomorphic vessels. The best one was of this little hedgehog. He was soooo adorable. Next, we walked in the Mycenae room and saw the Mask of Agamemnon. I thought it was really neat. It looked kind of funny though. It was cool, but I don't see why Heinrich Schliemann made such a huge deal about it. Hahaha. This is pretty much what I saw today. At least the highlights of the Museum for me. It was a really neat experience and I am really glad I'm here to enjoy all the wonderful art and sites that we get to see.
Well, that's about it for the Museum. Hope you all are having a great time, and I will see you in 15 days!! Love, Ryan

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

Very Cool! I remembered half of those things in Art Appreciation...lol Can't believe it's so close to the end of summer!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Ry - Remember just before you left & you hadn't quite decided you'd do a blog. We told you just a simple "I'm okay" would suffice. Well, you've gone far beyond that & it's been a joy to read! We figured you'd come to the same conclusion we did about Israel - awesome & unforgettable! Take care, hon. We hope your free travel is just as interesting & rewarding. Love ya, honey! Mimi